Friday, March 14, 2008

The move is official


It's now a done deal -- the Reluctant Blogger has moved permanently to this new home at Blogspot.com.

It's not just that the old Wordpress-based blog on Yahoo is so thoroughly Humpty-Dumptied that all the king's geeks and all the king's nerds will never be able to put it back together. This Google-based Blogspot software is much easier to use and, I hope, more bulletproof than the open-source Wordpress. Blogspot is not quite as elegant and feature-laden as Wordpress, but it's not bad at all. I can live with it.

In weeks to come I'll be redoing the archives, which are still housed on Yahoo and formatted for Wordpress. (The web site still resides on Yahoo -- there's nothing wrong with it. So far.)

Comments are welcome, as always.

2 comments:

  1. I don't understand the whole Yahoo versus Google aspect to this problem. OR are you just referencing the corporate ownership?

    If you were using Wordpress I assume it was hosted on your own henrykisor.com server. There shouldn't be any reason why that is any less "bulletproof" than blogspot and it has the added benefit of being hosted on your site instead of someone else's.

    I have found Wordpress to be very easy to use. I am not a techie but I might be able to help. Let me know if you need it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was using Wordpress on the Yahoo.com server. One day I woke up to discover the entire comments file had disappeared, and that strange things had been done with the html. I went to restore the backup -- and there was none, although I had made them regularly. That was enough for me.

    It was simply easier to convert from Wordpress than to try painstakingly to rebuild all those files -- if they existed at all.

    ReplyDelete