Friday, November 22, 2013

Correspondence

Every once in a while, maybe twice a month, someone writes to say he or she read one of my books and liked it. That always provides a lift to the morning.

And sometimes there is a truly special letter. This morning one came from a Dutchman:

"I just want to write you this email for thanking writing the book 'Zephyr: Tracking a Dream Across America'. I buy it earlier 1994 (Dutch version) and read it with pleasure.

"Now, almost 20 years later I am still in the possession of this book and read it several times. But what is important to me, it has become a special book. In difficult times, this book is the only book I can read. For no other book I have the patience and concentration to read it. Reading your book gives me peace and relaxation on a psychological level in difficult times. Maybe it sounds weird but it's a kind of Zen or mindfulness for me.

"At this moment, recovering from an open heart surgery, your book (again) gives me peace and relaxation.  

"So thanks’ again for writing this beautiful book."

Well. What can one say besides "You're very welcome"?

No comments:

Post a Comment