Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Updating "Zephyr"

In a few weeks the Lady Friend and I will embark on a ten-day trip to the West Coast aboard Amtrak's California Zephyr, subject of my 1994 book Zephyr: Tracking a Dream Across America, updated as an e-book in 2012.

The journey is in the service of still another update to see what has happened to the train and its environs in the last three years. I lost exact count some years ago, but this seems to be about the 25th or 26th trip I've taken on that train. I have yet to grow weary of the sameness.

This time I think that instead of adding still another epilogue to the book, I'll write a complete trip report in travel-writer fashion, and append that to the end.

We'll be staying overnight in Denver, where a new hotel has opened inside the grand old Denver Union Station, and in Glenwood Springs, where we will once again Take the Waters in the Hot Springs pool. We'll also stay a night in Emeryville before returning on the eastbound Zephyr.

It ought to be a nice break in the routine of mystery writing.

4 comments:

  1. Looking forward to reading about your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, look forward to reading about this latest trip. My experiences with train travel in the USA have not been particularly good, and I'm curious to hear the direction you think Amtrak is heading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, what have your experiences been? What trains have you taken and what has happened aboard them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa, what have your experiences been? What trains have you taken and what has happened aboard them?

    ReplyDelete