Thursday, April 21, 2016

Looming in the doorway

Trooper is still startled easily when doors to elevators and rooms suddenly open and someone looms in the entryway. (So am I.)

He growls and, if the looming figure appears sufficiently menacing, barks. (I don't bark. I just jump.)

This is not proper public behavior for a service dog. Trooper needs to grow out of it.

Yesterday we hit upon a solution for one common situation: the doctor's office. You know how when you're waiting in a tiny exam room for the doctor to arrive, you almost nod off, and suddenly the door opens.

Now I'm asking the nurse who leads me there and takes my history to leave the door open when she goes out. There is always traffic past the door, and Trooper's not so surprised when the doctor appears in the flow. Sometimes he even wags his tail.

A small step, but an important one.

No comments:

Post a Comment