Sunday, July 13, 2008

Dayumn!



This photograph from Wikipedia Commons shows the real Indian paintbrush.

Big error in the post last Wednesday about the wildflower called Indian paintbrush. Everything I wrote about it is accurate (as far as I know), but the photograph accompanying the post is of orange hawkweed, not Indian paintbrush.

I discovered my mistake by perusing the guidebook mentioned in Saturday's post and wondering why the illustration it carried of Indian paintbrush looked nothing like that of the flower I had photographed. A few pages later the orange hawkweed -- not even distantly related to Indian paintbrush, although it's often called "devil's paintbrush" -- cropped up, and it's a ringer for the photograph I took.

Pretty as it is, orange hawkweed, an immigrant from Europe, is considered a noxious alien in backyard gardens. It's not palatable, but it isn't poisonous, either. So much for being a potential murder weapon.

Sigh.

2 comments:

  1. Don't be too hard on yourself. Everyone up there calls that hawkweed an Indian paintbrush. And maybe you can substitute lily of the valley for it as a murder weapon. BTW, you sure about that strawberry blossom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. About that strawberry blossom, I'm starting to get a little worried, but absent an authoritative correction, I'll stick with it.

    ReplyDelete