Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Taking to the rubber-chicken circuit



A sample page of the Keynote talk I'll be giving June 18.

Time for a naked commercial pitch.

Your favorite mystery writer (that would be me) will be the speaker at the monthly meeting of the Ontonagon County Historical Society, 6:30 p.m. June 18, Konteka Restaurant, Mineral River Plaza, White Pine, Michigan.

That's away up in the wild western Upper Peninsula, the setting for my Steve Martinez novels. I'll be talking about mining the county's geography, history and culture to give my novels a sense of place.

I'll finesse the deaf-speech issue by simultaneously presenting the talk in Keynote format (that's Apple's version of PowerPoint) with a Macbook, a digital projector and a screen. The text will be overlaid on photographs, most from my archives.

The Lady Friend will read pertinent selections from Season's Revenge, A Venture into Murder, Cache of Corpses and the novel-in-progress.

Tickets are $12 each at the door, but reservations are required; call 906-885-5170 by June 13.

See you there. But if "it's too far to go to eat with people you don't know," as William Faulkner brushed off an invitation to dinner at the White House, I'll understand.

5 comments:

  1. I'd love to be there, but I'm going to have to use Faulkner's excuse this time. If you find yourself in TN, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to send you a drumstick, Deidra!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might come, but that depends on what's for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope it goes well, Henry, I'd come but it's a fair trek from Norfolk!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom's people were from Duluth-Superior (a.k.a., Twin Ports), and I know that Lake Superior and UP hold many secrets. Has anyone in your books died of horsefly bites? They're the killer bees of the north. Have a great summer.

    ReplyDelete