Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Sex photos of Britney Spears and Lindsay Lohan


Each day only about 50 to 55 visitors view this blog -- a modest number. That is unsurprising, for both the subject matter and the celebrity of the blogger are modest.

But yesterday a flood of 684 visitors arrived -- almost all of them referred by Google and Yahoo hits on the the photograph of Stephen Hawking that accompanied the June 22, 2008, blogpost on Miriam Berkley, photographer of authors. They were, of course, impelled by the news that Hawking was lying ill in a Cambridge hospital.

Today 85 visitors had shown up on the doorstep by 7:30 a.m. CDT. (News is that Hawking is recovering, which ought to diminish the intense interest in him.)

All this speaks to the immense power of Internet search engines as well as the celebrity of Hawking, who apparently is a culture hero for a lot of people. (As he should be.)

This also speaks to the curiosity (and maybe greed and cupidity) of a certain blogger who has put "Sex photos of Britney Spears and Lindsay Lohan" into today's subject line to see whether that will attract visitors as well. Probably the wrong kind, but who's being judgmental about numbers? A few of them might stay, too, and be introduced to (ahem) wholesome subjects, such as e-books and bird photography . . .

Stay tuned.

7 comments:

  1. I was wondering about that headline.

    I'm guessing that there will be some very different people viewing your blog.

    Some (okay most) will be disappointed too.

    Me, not so much, I'm glad you don't have them, don't want to see them let alone naked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It may be that text references don't draw blog visitors so much as photo references.

    That might mean I would have to post an actual naked picture of Britney and Lindsay.

    Of course, it would be done entirely in the spirit of scientific experimentation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me going for a minute there, Henry. I love the headline - very clever. I spent some time in Philly about an eon ago and I recall a store with a huge sign out front that said SEX. Just below the SEX sign, it said something along the lines of "Now that we've gotten your attention, come on in for blah blah etc etc". I'm not sure if it increased their foot traffic, but it sure got them a gaggle of people at the window!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if a shop in a Southern African state that sold rubbish bags and the like would call itself "Sex"?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Britney Spears -- the most famous superstar of the 21st century.What does it take to reach those heights in the Internet Age? What are the hidden costs when every move makes the headlines? More than an entertainment powerhouse. More than a dancer and musician. Britney Spears is a survivor

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done! I am gratified that you have shared this important news with me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete